Function and properties of thickener in printing:
Functions of thickener in printing:
Thickener’s functions are discussed below:
1. Dye paste helps to disperse dyes and other chemicals evenly. https://bdfabric.com/thickener-in-textile-printing-process/
2. Thickener makes printing paste flexible and viscous.
3. It acts as the main carrier of color in the fabric.
4. Thickener increases the viscosity of the paste and prevents the color from fixing and penetrating the fiber.
5. Holds the color to the specified area and prevents dyestuff and chemicals from spreading on the colorless area of the fabric.
6. During dye stabilization in the steaming process, it helps to collect moisture from the vapor and transfer the dye into the fabric.
7. The viscosity of the thickener helps the printing paste to stick to the cut part of the roller for a very short time.
8. Thickener does not react with other auxiliaries and chemicals used in printing paste.
9. According to the design of the printing, it keeps the colors in a certain place on the fabric so that it is not damaged by high temperature or friction.
10. Thickener helps to make the printing paste smooth and consistent, which is essential for smooth printing.
Important properties of thickener in printing:
Function and properties of thickener in printing. The following are some of the qualities that a good thickener used in textile printing needs to have:
1. It needs to be stable enough in physical and chemical work.
2. Thickener must have physical and chemical properties such as viscosity conductivity. However, the conductivity should be such that the printing paste stays in the engraving for a very short time, keeping the printing paste in the engraving in such a way that the paste is transferred to the cloth.
3. Other chemicals used in printing paste making such as dyestuff, oxidizing agent, reducing agent, acid, alkali, electrolytes, wetting agents, etc. must be coexistent.
4. After printing, it should have the quality of drying evenly so that the color does not spread out unnecessarily outside the design and the sharpness of the design is ensured.
5. During dye fixation in the steaming process, it can collect moisture from the vapor and transfer the dyes permanently to the fabric.
6. It will not have an affinity for the dyestuff used in steaming. And will not prevent the dye from being transferred to the fabric.
7. Thickener must have the ability to allow color molecules to cross the boundaries of the printed space by absorbing the excess water during steaming.
8. After the color has stabilized in the steaming, the remaining thickener should have that quality of the thinner so that it can be easily washed and removed from the cloth.
9. Elastic properties of the thickening agent should be maintained so that the printing paste does not stick to the wheel during drying after printing.
10. After printing, the used things can be easily cleaned such as block, roller, screen, etc.
11. Thickeners should be cheap and readily available.
12. Thickener cannot have any colors of its own.
13. It must be chemically inert.
14. It will have the quality of sticking to the fabric.
15. If it is stored for a short time so that its viscosity does not change, it should be of good quality.